A couple of weeks ago two students handed in the same assignment. This is the second time this semester for these two students. So I immediately handed the files to the Dean who then passed it to the Associate Dean. The penalty imposed was a zero in the course. It could have been worse: the "normal" penalty for a second offense is dismissal from the college for one academic year. While I felt a strong penalty had to be imposed, I thought dismissal for one year to be too severe for the work submitted (2 5% assignments). I think the zero in the course is reasonable and it is one of the options listed in the Academic Integrity policy.
I am really bothered by cheating, but then I am really bothered by lies. In some situations it is not appropriate to tell all the truth. But lying is not acceptable. Many students protest they are not cheating when they have done exactly what the college policy labels as dishonest. Many seem not to understand that sharing computer files is cheating. Presenting work as your own if it is not is dishonest and deserves to be penalized.
2010-04-13
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment