As is said at the start of a horse race: "They're off."
Another interesting semester is ahead. I have three sections of an Excel - PowerPoint course and two sections of a Chemistry course. I had this same mix last winter. I found the two courses are different enough I seem to be using different parts of my brain for each one. That feels good, even though it is a challenge, or perhaps because it is a challenge. This semester I also need to be more formal about learning to be a (better) teacher. I am supposed to submit at least one report by the end of April.
I have been collecting resources, skimming a few, watching a couple of electronic lists and gathering resources that way. I think the best way for me to learn how to be a better teacher is to pay close attention to my students: what do I do that helps them learn, what do I do that gets in the way. My main idea about teaching is "you can't teach nobody nothin'". The best I can do is make learning easier.
In addition to stretching my brain a little with this mix of subjects I am also going to stretch my body. I started Tai Chi classes last night. I hope the physical stretching will help reduce tension and fatigue.
2009-01-07
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment